Tuesday, 14 January 2014

9. Quality over Quantity (the Emergence of Truth)

On some days, I think about the possibility that my daily churning-out of written content means that I am sacrificing quality and favouring quantity. Feedback? Comments?



So, here is an ultra-brief "thought":

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed; second, it is violently oppressed; third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Shopenhauer's quote is particularly relevant with the emergence of so many films (and a new openness in discussion) over the past few months on the civil rights movement, change, and - ultimately - freedom. In many cases, it took years of suffering and resistance to reveal to the masses what was right and true all along. Racial, religious and gender discrimination are all key instances in which Schopenhauer's observation holds weight.
P.S. In regards to the latter, please don't get me started on Beyonce Knowles-Carter's recent essay on gender equality for The Shriver Report (although my tweets would suggest that I already did).

No comments:

Post a Comment