Saturday, 25 January 2014

20. Dissatisfaction.



I am dissatisfied.

I don't know enough, I haven't achieved enough, I haven't read enough, I haven't travelled enough, I'm not independent enough, my life doesn't have enough purpose yet, I don't have enough money and I'm not fit enough.



Depressing to read all of the above, right? But if we're honest with ourselves, so many of us find ourselves launching into a similar silent spiel on a regular basis. What should an 18-30 year-old have achieved for their age? Why are we so quick to compare ourselves to the ├╝ber-accomplised youngsters on Under 30 Forbes lists and incredibly talented 20-somethings that we see on television or read about in newspapers or on the internet, concluding that our lives are a failure or average at best by way of comparison? Why do we do this when, in many instances, outsiders looking in on our lives are making the same negative conclusions about their current state in comparison? You must have achieved something, right?

How does one quantify "enough"? More importantly, should young people set out to quantify what is "enough" and then break their backs aiming to reach it in as little time as possible?

Millennials: go read this article and feel better, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment