Friday, 24 January 2014

19. Makers Gonna Make



When was the last time you made something out of nothing?

Okay, how about this one: When was the last time you made something new out of something else?



Many people could argue that creating is a constant act, despite their not working within a typically creative environment or profession such as media or the arts. Reaching a written conclusion to a question out of numerous other written sources might be thought of as "making". Bringing together a large room full of people from various industries as part of a major event could also be considered "creating". Could I use this project - delivering daily written content from both existing knowledge and external inspirations - as an example of my own creative processes? Maybe. But I think that there's often another level of creating that many of us (myself included) simply do not embark on reaching; something that I can't quite put my finger on but which Seth Godin alludes to throughout his many books and blogposts. That said, I'd highly recommend reading Godin's Purple Cow - it's for creatives and non-creatives alike and really makes you think about how to be remarkable in whatever field you're in.

I think that products of creating, in our technological age, are threefold: physical, digital, or a mixture of both. So a webspace designed from one's knowledge of HTML and CSS is equally as valuable as a masterpiece made of bright acrylic paints. Similarly, a composition marked on score paper by hand is equally as substantial as a photography portfolio, each image having been captured on the latest digital equipment. I can't think of any more examples, but you get my point. Regardless of the medium from which the created product has derived, it's the act of creating that is the most important. I don't know when I last made something from nothing. But I do hope that if anyone asks me that question in the near future, I'll have a fuller and more interesting response.

2 comments:

  1. "I think that products of creating, in our technological age, are threefold: physical, digital, or a mixture of both." - are you proposing that in the future we could make things beyond physical and digital? Interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not explicitly, no (although the prospect of creating a product which goes beyond our current understanding of the physical and digital excites me)...

      I was simply outlining what I believe to be the three types of creating, and how regardless of whether the process is physical/manual or digital, it is the creative process in itself which is key, with neither process outweighing the other.

      Delete